Monday, March 19, 2018

Distribution Difficulties

I have spent the last week trying to figure out how I will distribute my documentary that will reach my target audience. 

I had a meeting with my teacher in which I expressed my concerns about how my documentary will be distributed. I had the idea of my documentary being one entire film, about an hour, hour and a half long. But since the topic is so huge, my teacher suggested doing more research on documentary series. 

I did research and mentioned television channels like The History Channel or Discovery Channel and how I didn't want my film to be distributed there because they have gained viewers and profit through the incorporation of reality television in their network. I wanted a network that would be serious, being as my topic is no joke. 

This is how I started to do some research about how I will distribute the documentary.


So as you can see in this picture, I named distribution channels and services that I think might be a contender. 
The Documentary channel was going to be my first option, but the name had changed to Pivot and after three years, it closed down. So that was crossed off the list. 

Then as I previously mentioned, Discovery and History Channel have started to get into the reality television realm, and I didn't want my documentary on these channels, so that was also crossed off the list. 

The New York Times' Op-Docs would have been a great place that I would have liked to distribute it, but reading their submission requirements, "We cannot consider film trailers, nor can we consider videos that have already been posted online or broadcast on television."  
Since I wanted to distribute my documentary on television, I decided not to use The New York Times Op-Doc. 

I really liked Vice because it reached a young target audience and social media like Snapchat which could be a great tool for marketing, but I still wasn't sure. 


(If my target audience was just the young population, I think this would have been a great source. )


I was in between Vice and PBS at this point but I also wanted to incorporate Amazon and Netflix. More research had to be done, not just of the company of distribution, but also if I was going to do an entire documentary or a series.

Stay tuned. 








No comments:

Post a Comment