Thursday, March 22, 2018

Distribution in Check

Before I even mention where I will  distribute the doc to , this is somewhat of how my thought process was going. (Warning it is somewhat messy)



As I previoulsy posted, Vice was a great option for the young popualtion.

The black pen cursive handwritting, are questions that I had after meeting with my teacher and questions that had came to mind. For instance, "If I do a series, how many epsiodes would it be and what would the leangth be? What would the episdodes be about? 


But after doing some more research on documentary examples,  the moment of truth is here. I have finally, after two long weeks trying to figure out where I wanted to distribute my documentary, I have decided that Public Broadcating Service would the the right place. 

Let me explain why...

PBS is an American public broadcaster making it available to many indivudals being as it is public.  Docuemntaries can be consumed online for free on their website, but they can also be viewed on DirecTV, owned by a AT & T a well recognized telecommunicaition company. Those who have DirecTV have access to PBS. Comcast who owns xfinity also provides its viewers with PBS. PBS docuemntary series have also been distributed on Netflix and Amazon. On Netflix, docuemntary series' like "City in the Sky", "The Mind of a Chef", "Nazi Mega Weapons" and more. Amazon carries PBS Docuemntaries like "Kent Burns: American Lives" which is a set of hour long documentaries in which every episode is different. Another example would be "Frontline: My Brother's Bomber". This documentary series is three episodes long an it stands alone on Amazon. Meaning that Frontline is a catergory in which controversial docuemntary subjects are put together in one place. PBS also has POVwhich showcases nonfiction docuementaries and films. 

PBS also has PBS kids which is very popular and educational among young children and parents of children. For this reason, I also felt that PBS would be a great distribution place because if parents know about PBS Kids they are likely to do more research on the broadcast/distribution company and could stumble upon my documentary and could show they to their children in the future.



PBS reaches such a wide target audience not only on traditional television channels, but also digital streaming sites. For example, Amazon "service is targeted to 13- to 17-year-olds, who are part of Generation Z"  which works for my target audience. 

The article reads, " Teens can stream or shop independently, although parents can approve the orders after teens hit the "place order" button. After a teen places their order, Amazon sends an email or text to the parents, who then make the final decision. Parents can also set pre-approved spending limits, Amazon said. ... After teens graduate high school and attend college, they can migrate to their own Prime Student accounts. Their shopping history will stay with them, Carr said." 

In the next post, I will talk about the episodes since I have decided to do a documentary series. 




No comments:

Post a Comment