Saturday, April 7, 2018

POSTER

The poster was a long process, longer than I actually thought. 

It took me a couple tries to figure out which pictures I was going to be using in order to represent both sides to a story. That is why I needed two pictures. Now one of the pictures was taken from afar and on my computer it looked extremely blurry. So what I had to do was to look for the picture again on my camera and took a picture of the picture. it worked out and it doesn't look blurry. I was in between two pictures, but the one that I picked allowed me the space at the top to include a "review" and the film festival selection logos. 

Now to festival logos were another issue that I ran into.
Many people would choose the obvious, Sundance Film Festival and I had that on my poster until I realized that my documentary is a series which made me question which festivals accept episodic content. 


Now you might be wondering why not Sundance. And the problem was that the running time of the entire series must add up to 180 minutes. Now I could do the documentary separately by episode but I felt like the best thing was to show them together. So I didn't do Sundance. 

So after the list above, and more research not shown on the page, I decided that the film festivals in the United States that allowed for episodic content was Hot Spring Doc Film Festival, SXSW Film Festival and SF Film. I went through about 20 film festival website requirements to figure out if they accepted episodic content. 

Now after I finished looking for the film festivals, I had a problem finding a logo for Hot Spring because there wasn't one with a transparent background. So I found an old one and I deleted the year, which worked out. 

Another issue that I ran into while working on this poster, was the credits. Those credits actually killed me. No seriously. It took me about three or even more hours to figure it out. So I don't have photoshop which would have most likely made my life easier. So what I did is I found a movie poster credit font that I could use and downloaded it. At first everytime I would type the "directed by' or the "edited by" etc. would show up and I didn't know how to type my name, but I figured it out that I needed to use the caps lock for it to work. So when I figured that out I thought that I was done, but that was not the truth. I needed to figure out how I could make the background of the text transparent, which is what took me the longest. I looked up a tutorial on YouTube on how to do it using Pages on Mac. It worked but it was a real struggle. I took a while for me to handle it, but in the end I figured it out. Though it is not the best quality, I tried my best. 

Now the poster is technically done, except for the website domain, which I am working on the website and when I publish I will write the name on the poster.

I also wanted to talk about the PBS Logo at the bottom which is seen in docuemntaries that have been acuqired by PBS like "Dolores" and "Bill Nye: Science Guy" . These were both on distributed first on a film festival and later acquired by PBS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment